My first go at this pattern was such a quick and rewarding project that I made another one the next week. This time in tangerine organic cotton jersey (Fabric.com?).
For this one I had a different theme in mind….breezy, wavy, easy going summer evening.
I cut it to be a size 36 at the shoulders and sleeves area and added about ½” to each side. I also cut the long sleeves.
As you can see, I left small slits on the sides and at the sleeves and I used a cool hemming technique I have seen on a RTW top I have. Rather than fighting jersey’s natural tendency to curl up, I used it as a decorative finish. On the back of the hem edge I sewed a second strip of jersey fabric. They both curl up creating the double roll effect. For the neckline, I cut a 1 ½” strip of jersey, folded in half lengthwise wrong sides together and sewed it along the neckline. I also did one row of under stitching. Got the same double rolling effect.
The pocket is just a free form shape …I felt that the top needed something extra…
All in all, another success. I love both of them even though they are so different. Looking at them side by side I can’t believe they are made from the same pattern…proof of what a versatile little wizard ain-t-shirt/”>Plantain is.
I already have a few more variations in mind but first I need to sew a couple of these little guys for my sisters. They loved both tops very much and after I bragged A LOT as to what a fast and easy make they are ….well, they each asked for one grrrr!
Hopping on the Plantain wagon as it is going on full speed! As you can see can see why, so many cute versions and so much room for creativity…and free! What else could a girl ask for?!
My first version (yes, there is a second one coming right up) is made out of grey wool jersey (left over from a different project) and some green wool jersey…that is actually the bottom part of a dress I altered a while ago. Yes, I like using EVERY SINGLE scrap 🙂
I cut a size 36 (according to the bust measurements) and followed the pattern instructions …well, overall I did 🙂 My fabric ended up having a lot less stretch than what was probably intended because the t-shirt ended up being quite tight across the bust and back. Luckily it was very easy to unpick the side seams and I sewed everything back up with a 1/8” seam allowance. Much better! And no need to finish those edges.
The sleeves are the ¾ length plus the green bands which are about 2” wide. The neckline is simply a cowl neck…almost a straight rectangle.
Loved the construction order, it made everything come together in no time. The tips for sewing with knits are also very smart. It only took me about 4 hours to make this top and this includes unpicking both sides, fiddling with the sleeve bands (on and off and back on for about 3 times) and deciding on the cowl neck. Not to mention the devil that the grey wool jersey was….rolling into a thin baguette the second I’d lift my hands off of it.
The result is a very eye catching, comfortable and warm top. It is probably the first pattern I would recommend to a beginner sewer that wants to try working with knits. It looks cute, it is versatile, the instructions are awesome and the result doesn’t scream “I made this!!!”.
I wore it this weekend and received a ton of compliments, even from strangers! Super big win in my book!
Thank you ELÉONORE for this versatile and cute top!
PS: I am camera shy 🙂 please excuse the headless pictures.